Written by: Matt Shock (@shockwave_music)
Edited by: Curt Ashcraft (@cashcraft740)
Follow us on Twitter! @OS_Report
Welcome ladies and gentlemen to “This Week In Sports”, where we at ‘Our Sports Report’ give our fan reaction to the week’s major sports headlines.
- The NCAA decided to, once and for all, drop the hammer on good old Johnny Football, by suspending him for half a game for “allegedly” accepting money for signing autographs. Let’s be real for a minute, if Johnny Manziel signed all of those autographs for free, he’s even dumber than I originally gave him credit for.
- Buckeye fans suddenly felt a little less sure of themselves this week when it was announced that defensive tackle Tommy Schutt would be sidelined for at least half the season with a broken bone in his foot. Noah Spence and Adolphus Washington will just have to step it up that much more this season.
- In a bit of baseball hilarity, the Met’s traded outfielder Marlon Byrd the day before it was to be “Marlon Byrd Day” at Citi Field. The team had 20,000 “Let it Fly” t-shirts made up to hand out to the fans. Apparently they wanted to let him fly a day early.
- Former Cubs outfielder, Alfonso Soriano, smacked his 400th home run this week while wearing the wrong color pinstripes. Actually, they were on the road, so he wasn’t wearing pinstripes at all…but you get my point. Leave it to Soriano to go on a rampage after being traded. This puts Soriano’s home run total to 28 on the season…leaving it remotely possible for him to reach 40 by season’s end and in doing so, restoring the reputation of the humble sportswriter whose words you are currently reading.
- Despite playing with a slightly skimpy team, Ohio State beat Buffalo 40-20 at Ohio Stadium. While a 20 point win is nothing to sneeze at, the Buckeyes will surely need more dominating performances than this one to prove that they deserve to compete for a national title. The Buckeyes looked great in the first quarter, but returned to some of last season’s bad habits for the rest of the game. One thing is for certain, I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at the end of that game to hear what kind of ripping Urban gave his team.
There you have it folks, another edition of "This Week In Sports" on ‘Our Sports Report’. What major headlines did we miss? What are your thoughts? Let us know!