Written by: Matt Shock (@shockwave_music)
Edited by: Curt Ashcraft (@cashcraft740)
Follow us on Twitter! @OS_Report
Ladies and gentlemen, it has been the privilege of the 'Our Sports Report' team to host The Buckeye Hangover this season. Each week, we have celebrated the fine, and sometimes not so fine, performances of the Ohio State football team during the Buckeye Hangover podcast.
In case you never gave our podcast a listen (shame on you by the way), the Grown Ass Man Awards were instituted to celebrate the unsung efforts of the less popular Buckeye football players. In other words, we didn’t want to sit down every week and talk about how great Braxton Miller was. Frankly, Brent Musburger handles that job just fine without us.
During the first few weeks of the podcast, we seemed to stick to the spirit of the award, choosing players that were stepping up and making a difference without all the media hype. However, as the season wore on, many of the players that emerged from the shadows managed to stay in the limelight. This was really fun to watch as the season progressed.
Freshman defensive lineman, Joey Bosa, first received a Grown Ass Man nomination for his performance against Cal in week three. However, Bosa became a household name by week six, so picking him for more awards made us violate our own principles when we did so in week six and week fifteen. You see, that was the beauty of following Buckeye football this year. Picking new recipients for the Grown Ass Man Award became challenging because everyone was stepping up and getting talked about!
With all that said, I began thinking the other day that with all these fine performances still fresh in my mind, it might be nice to discuss who might be the best of all these award recipients. Sure, we could just talk about them in the final Buckeye Hangover podcast after the Orange Bowl this Friday, but we want to hear from all of you out there! We want to know who stood out in your mind and stepped up for the entire season.
So it is in that spirit that I give you the nominations for the 2013 'Our Sports Report' Grown Ass Man of the Year!
- Michael Bennett (DL) –San Diego State
- Joey Bosa (DL) – Cal, Northwestern, Michigan State
- Philly Brown (WR) – Buffalo
- Christian Bryant (S) – Wisconsin
- Ezekiel Elliott (RB) – Florida A&M
- Pat Elflein (OL) – Michigan State
- Doran Grant (CB) – Purdue
- Kenny Guiton (QB) – Cal, Florida A&M
- Jordan Hall (RB) – Buffalo, Cal
- Marcus Hall (OL) – Michigan
- Jeff Heuerman (TE) – Michigan
- Carlos Hyde (RB) – Northwestern, Illinois
- Cameron Johnston (P) – Wisconsin
- Cardale Jones (QB) – Florida A&M
- Braxton Miller (QB) – Iowa
- Joshua Perry (LB) – Michigan State
- Tyvis Powell (DB) – Iowa
- Armani Reeves (CB) – Preseason
- Ryan Shazier (LB) – Indiana
- Devin Smith (WR) – Iowa, Penn State
- Noah Spence (DL) – Penn State
- Nick Vannett (TE) – Purdue
- Dontre Wilson (RB) – Preseason, Indiana
As you can see, we have quite a list to choose from. Not to mention the fact that we still have a game left to see who steps up (my money is on Vonn Bell). Obviously we need some help choosing.
So please do us a solid and leave a comment below, or comment on this post on Facebook, or hit us up on the Twitter (@OS_Report - #GrownAssMan) and let us know who you think deserves this prestigious honor. The best responses will be featured on the final episode of The Buckeye Hangover following the Orange Bowl.
Just remember that anybody can go into the OSU Hall of Fame, and anyone can get their number retired for all eternity (or until an incoming recruit bitches hard enough to use it). But not just anyone can be Our Sports Report’s Grown Ass Man of the Year! Choose wisely!