Written by: Neil Brown (@downtowneil)
Edited by: Curt Ashcraft (@cashcraft740)
Follow us on Twitter! @OS_Report
In a week that featured six top-25 matchups, a shakeup was bound to happen in this week’s ‘Our Sports Report’ College Football Playoff Rankings. Two new teams are making their debut in our top-10 rankings and a pair of teams plummeted as well. Shakeup Saturday had its victims, but it also brought some new contenders into the mix.
Next week features far fewer top matchups, but all eyes will be on Tuscaloosa as Nick Saban and his Crimson Tide look to knockoff Dak Prescott and undefeated Mississippi State.
1. Mississippi State (9-0): “Huge test against Alabama this week will make or break their season. Prescott will win or lose his Heisman Trophy in that game.” –Elijah Gonzalez
2. Florida State (9-0): “Just like the Bulldogs, they just keep winning. The only thing they have to do at this point is to not sleep on Florida in their final game. Florida has been pesky all season and would love to play spoiler.” –Matt Shock
3. Oregon (9-1): “The Ducks needed another statement win, and they got it against Utah. I usually find myself resenting Oregon, but I can't help but love this team that is playing so well at the right time. A pretty easy schedule against Colorado and Oregon State is on the horizon which will only keep the Ducks rolling into the four-team playoff.” –Curt Ashcraft
4. Alabama (8-1): “The Tide struggled in Death Valley, but that was not a surprise to me. That game won’t hurt their chance at the playoff because LSU vs. Bama is always an instant classic. We will learn what the Crimson Tide is made of this week in their big match-up with the #1 team in the land. Also, the Iron Bowl is still left for the Crimson Tide, so even with a win, don’t hand them the SEC West crown just yet.” – Elijah Gonzalez
5. TCU (8-1): “A huge win for the Horned Frogs over Kansas State. Routing the team one below you in the rankings means you show up for big games. Well done.” –Matt Ruskan
6. Arizona State (8-1): “The Sun Devils needed a signature win in the worst way and they almost let it slip away against Notre Dame on Saturday afternoon. But nonetheless, Todd Graham’s defense caused five turnovers and looked sharp in those uniforms doing so. A Pac-12 Championship match-up with Oregon could get really exciting.” –Neil Brown
7. Baylor (8-1): “Some questions about the defense were laid to rest as the Bears beat the Sooners 48-14. This team can score and looks to use that to keep on climbing.” –Matt Ruskan
8. Ohio State (8-1): “The Buckeyes finally got their signature win, but will it be enough to make everyone forget their signature loss? I'm not so sure. If they lose to somebody besides Virginia Tech, then this is a different conversation. But, if "if's and but's were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas." If they don't make the inaugural playoff, they have nobody to blame but themselves.” –Matt Shock
9. Marshall (9-0): “I've been reluctant to put them in my top ten all season long, but our own Matthew Ruskan and the Thundering Herd's play has finally convinced me. One of only a few undefeated teams left in the country, Rakeem Cato and Marshall have continued to blow teams out of the water and have now convinced another non-believer that the Thundering Herd deserve to be here.” –Curt Ashcraft
10. Auburn (7-2): “A home loss to Texas A&M without Kenny Hill has all but finished Auburn’s season. Questionable play calls down the stretch have ruined any chance of Nick Marshall and company making the playoffs, pending some crazy results.” –Neil Brown